Complaint in the matter of selection of Final Bidder M/s High Tech Systems & Services for supply of “12 nos. new design ERS Towers suitable for 400kv transmission line network of OPTCL
The Chief Secretary
Govt. of Odisha
Sub- Seeking an Inquiry into huge corruption and irregularities in the matter of selection of Final Bidder M/s High Tech Systems & Services for supply of “12 nos. new design ERS Towers suitable for 400kv transmission line network of OPTCL as per Tender (No. Sr. G.M.-CPC-ICB-ERS-24/2015) for ERS (Emergency Restoration Service) suitable for 400Kv Transmission line Network for OPTCL
I would bring to your kind notice the abovementioned subject matter seeking your kind intervention and necessary action.
That on dt. 22.6.17, I had submitted RTI Application to the PIO, office of Odisha Power Transmission Corporation Limited (OPTCL), Bhoi Nagar, Bhubaneswar seeking information about details of Tender ( No. Sr. G.M.-CPC-ICB-ERS-24/2015) for ERS (Emergency Restoration Service) suitable for 400Kv Transmission line Network for OPTCL. On 11.7.17, the PIO supplied some information. While analysing the information, I unearthed huge irregularities and corruption in the selection procedure for selecting final bidder M/s High Tech Systems & Services, Kolkata. The OPTCL has ignored, bypassed its own terms and conditions of tender and shown favouritism to the said Company for awarding the bid. These are as follows.
1. In August, 2015, OPTCL had released advertisement inviting International Competitive bidding in e-tendering mode only from reputed manufacturer, type testing, inspection, loading at factory, transportation to & unloading at site / stores including guaranteed obligation for supply of lightweight aluminium, modular type emergency restoration system (ERS) suitable for 400kv transmission line Network of OPTCL with an estimated cost of Rs. 130 Million. Following due tender procedure, OPTCL finally awarded this work to M/s High Tech Systems & Services, Kolkatta, an authorised channel partner of M/s Tower Solutions Inc., Canada, a Manufacturing Company (?).
2. Under the Head “ Qualifying Requirements of Bidders: Technical qualification”, It is mentioned in point 4.1.(iii) that the bidder should have already supplied 400KV ERS ( Emergency Restoration Services) tower for which he submits his offer not less than the quantity tendered ( 12 nos. new design ERS towers suitable for 400kv transmission line Network) as per specification in last five years. On RTI query, the PIO has not supplied copy of any purchasing order rather two performance report from NTE-Transmissora de energia, Brazil and CESC Limited. The performance report cannot justify purchasing Order. If there is performance report, then why the Company has not produced PO. It is assumed that the Performance Report is false and manipulated. So it is proved that this Manufacturing Company Tower Solutions Inc, Canada has not got any purchasing Order from any agency for procurement of 12 nos. new design ERS towers suitable for 400kv transmission line Network even not from India. ( Copy of Performance Report of NTE-Transmissora de energia, Brazil and CESC Limited is attached as annexture-1)
3. M/s Hi-tech System and Services Limited is not OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer). It is the channel partner of Tower Solution Inc, Canada. It is astonishing that in its Purchase Order ( PO) which has been awarded to M/s Hi-tech System and Services Ltd. , OPTCL has not mentioned a single word about the OEM. This type of P.O. is likely to cheat technical people issued by OPTCL. ( Copy of purchasing Order attached as Annexture-2).
4. As per Tender Advertisement, the bidder should be a manufacturer or their authorised channel partner of 400KV ERS tower for which he submits the offer. From the document produced by the final bidder, it was found that the major items like Foundation Base plate, Foundation Base Artiulation, Tower sections ( TSMast), Universal attachment , Gin Pole etc. are manufactured and type tested at Laser AMP, Granby, QC, Canada, whereas the supplier is “ Tower Solutions Inc. , 7030 Woodbine Ave, Suite 500 , Markhan , ON L3R6G2, Canada. While browsing the website, it was also found that Tower Solution , Canada is a Company having ISO 9001 certificate for sales, engineering and supply of emergency tower for the high voltage transmission industry, training of electrical utility companies in using temporary tower and consulting to electricity utility companies. It has also specialisation in transmission Modular Restoration Towers used for emergency restoration of high voltage transmission lines. It is a supplying-partner of Manufacturing Company Laser AMP, Canada. (Copy of document is attached as Anexture-3).
5. Under the Head “ Qualifying Requirements of Bidders: Technical qualification”(4.1.v), it is mentioned that the offered equipment should be type-tested at Govt. approved laboratory /CPRI/ NABL accredited laboratory in case bidder(s) manufacturing facilities in India. In case bidder(s) manufacturing base is outside India, the offered equipment should be type-tested from KEMA, Holland/ EDF, France/Hydra-Quebec, Canada/CESI, Itay/IPH, Germany/KERI,Korea, XAHARI, China/ CRIEPI, Japan and in other cases, it shall be type-tested from an internationally Accredited Laboratory owed by the Government of those Countries of Origin. But astonishingly, the Company has not produced any such document from accredited or Govt. approved laboratory of Canada in support of its equipment type-tested. But it has submitted a manipulated document from IEEE Testing done at Laser AMP Inc., a manufacturing Company. Now the question is raised why Tower Solutions Inc. has not type-tested its equipment in CESI of Canada. (Copy of document is attached as Anexture-4).
So, the officials of OPTCL including Hemant Sharma, Managing Director has flouted all tender norms and manipulated selection procedure by accepting objectionable documents provided by the Company and shown favouritism to award the work i.e., supply of equipments for ERS (Emergency Restoration Service) suitable for 400Kv Transmission line Network. We are also astonished that how the post of Director, Operation and Director, Project are lying vacant since last five year. Due to vacancy of these posts, Sri Hemant Sharma has become absolute authority in the matter of decision making process in OPTCL. As a result, He takes all decisions on his own wish flouting all tender norms and awarding the said work to M/s High Tech Systems & Services Since last seven years, he has also been continuing as Managing Director, OPTCL without any transfer.
We presume that this is clear-cut corruption and undue favour granted to this company through a big kickback. It has also come to our notice that very sub-standard and less quantity of materials has been supplied to OPTCL. Though RTI Application has been filed for inspection of materials, the PIO, OPTCL does not allow for inspection.
We request you to enquire into the matter and stop payment to this Company and take legal action against the officials responsible for it.
Plot No-D-27, Maitree Vihar
Post-Rail Vihar, vanivihar,