After long fight, two accused were arrested by the police in connection with merciless attack on a 10 year old son of RTI Activist of Kendrapara district, Odisha
On 20.6.16, two accused namely Sri Pravat Kumar Sahu, Chairman, School Management Committee of Udayabata Upper Primary School, Bhagaban Pur and Dipu Nayak, a criminal of Kunarapal village, were arrested and forwarded to jail by Marshaghai police in connection with merciless attack on a 10 year old son of RTI Activist of Kendrapara district, Odisha. But astonishingly, the police have not been able to arrest 4 to 5 main accused dreaded criminals who had masterminded this attack on Suvam Rout, a 10 year old boy on 10.5.16, when he was asleep in the night. They have escaped from the area due to negligence of the police to arrest them at the primary stage.
This unfortunate incident has its background. That Sri Kalandi Nayak , a poor villager of Marshaghai Block of Kendrapara district who happens to be member of Udayabata Upper Primary School found misappropriation of around Rs. 15 lakh fund in repair of Udayabata Upper Primary School and mismanagement of fund for Mid-Day-Meal by the Head Master of the School, Block Education Officer and other officials. He used RTI extensively filling series of application to different offices to unearth truth and find out the details of information about the fund sanctioned and utilised along with copy of bill and vouchures by the Head Master and Chairman, School Management Committee. With the incomplete information provided to him, he filed a number of complaints to different offices like Collector, District Project Coordinator, Kendrapara, Dept. of School and Mass Education, Govt. of Odisha and Director, State Vigilance, Cuttack. The whole administration including local political leaders of ruling party got disturbed and tried to convince him to withdraw the application and complaint petitions. When Sri Kalandi remained determined to pursue the application and also filed first appeal petition by the PIO, office of Block Education Officer, he received a lot of threats call of murder from different people. He has also got the information that a coterie of powerful people including Chairman, Marshaghai Block and Officials and Contractors are getting organised to attack him at anytime. As kalandi remained determined to fight it out, the coterie of teachers, contractors and corrupt officials got organised and conspired to murder him and his 10 year old son. On 10.5.16, they entered into his house in mid-night and attacked his son Suvam mercilessly with dreaded weapon. Suvam lost his sense and his head was found bleeding profusely. Besides taking steps to ensure admission of his severely injured child in hospital, Kalandi filed an FIR in Marshaghai police station (IIC Mobile No- 9437523699) on 12.5.16. The Inspector-In-Charge, Marshaghai police station did not take any steps to investigate into the matter.
How the issue got cropped up ?
District Convention of Odisha Soohana Adhikar Abhijan was organised in Kendrapara on 22.5.16. All the RTI Activists of Kendrapara district including Pradip Pradhan, State Convener and Sri Sudhir Mohanty, advocate and Advisor of OSAA had participated in the convention. Getting the information about convention, Sri Kalandi Nayak joined in the convention ad narrated his story of suffering and negligence of police to arrest the culprits. It was resolved in the convention to take up the issue and fight it out at logical end. The sequence of events in respect of steps taken by Odisha Soochana Adhikar Abhijan to give justice to Kalandi is as follows.
1. On 25.5.16, a fact-finding team comprising Pradip Pradhan, Sudhir Mohanty, Sanjukta Panigrahi, Pratap Sahu, Rohan Mohanty, Debesh Das visited S.C.B. Medical, Cuttack to look into the health condition of Suvam who was under treatment in Central ICU. The Team met HOD, Neurology and Associate Professors and his mother and interacted with them about health of the child. The HOD said that the child is out of danger and his health condition improving.
2. On 26.5.16, a complaint case was filed by the members of fact-finding to Acting Chairman, Odisha Human Rights Commission, Satyanagar, Bhubaneswar seeking immediate order to Director General of Police to enquire into the matter and to arrest the culprits, Authority of S.C.B. Medical to provide free treatment to Suvam and award Rs. 5 lakh compensation to his family for the loss and suffering. The Commission immediately registered the case on same day ( Registration No. 2114/2016 ) and issued notice to SP, Kendrapara to enquire into the matter and submit action taken report to the commission within four week. The Superintendent, S.C.B. Medical was instructed to provide free treatment to the child. The Commission has fixed dated 4.7.16 for hearing of the case.
3. Finding no visible progress into investigation, a team of RTI Activists and concerned citizens met District Collector and SP, Kendrapara on 29.6.16 and submitted memorandum demanding to arrest the culprits immediately.
4. On 8.6.16, Mass Rally and demonstration was organised in Kedrapara district headquarter with participation of hundreds of Activists condemning police inaction and allous attitude of district administration to arrest the culprits due to political pressure and demanding immediate arrest of the culprits. The rally was led by Pradip Pradhan and Ranjan Kumar Das, District Convener, OSAA. The Activists held day-long Dharana in front of office of Collector, Kendrapara and submitted memorandum to taken action against IIC, Marshaghai for hobnobbing with accused.
5. On 22.6.16, a 5-member delegation of RTI Activists of OSAA Sri Pradip Pradhan, Sri Rohan Mohanty, Sri Sudhir Mohanty, Sri Sudhir Rout, Sri Ranjan Kumar Das submitted memorandum to Director General of Police, Cuttack highlighting nexus of police with criminals in Kendrapara district, sabotaging the investigation by the police and demanding immediate arrest of the culprit.