No monitoring of Private Schools by State Government in Odisha – A Disastrous situation for the Children
The Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education Act which is called as Right to Education Act, 2009 mandated to provide free and compulsory education to all the children of the age of six to fourteen years. The Govt. schools, Private schools like aided schools receiving aid or grants to meet whole or part of the expenses from the Government and unaided schools not receiving any kind of aid or grant to meet the expenses from Govt. are duty-bound to comply the RTE Act and meet RTE Norm. As per section 18 of the RTE Act, Each aided and unaided Private schools are required to obtain a certificate of recognition from the Government subject to fulfilling the norms and standards specified in the schedule.
On 19.1.2016, RTI Application was submitted to the PIO, office of Director, Elementary Education, Odisha seeking the following information about private Schools located in Bhubaneswar
a. Copy of the Guideline/ circular, if any issued by the Govt. for monitoring of the Private schools in Odisha
b. List of the English-medium Private Schools located in Bhubaneswar which have obtained recognition from the State Govt. and not obtained recognition from state Govt.
c. Name of the authority entrusted to monitor the private schools under Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation.
d. Copy of the reports of the monitoring of Private Schools submitted by the Monitoring authority from 2011 to 2015.
e. Name of the authority entrusted to monitor KIIT School and copy of enquiry report, if any available with that authority.
The information provided by the PIO on 10.3.16 is as follows.
1.Though the implementation of RTE Act started from 2009, the State Government issued Office Order No. 20559 on dt. 26.12.14 (after five years of enactment of the Act) fixing conditionalities i.e, fulfilling requirement for RTE Norm for Privately managed Elementary Schools to obtain N.O.C. ( No Objection Certificate) from Govt. The procedure to be followed for obtaining N.O.C. is as follows.
a. All applications received upto date 1.11.14 will be taken into consideration for issue of N.O.C.
b. Conditional N.O.C. will be issued to the privately managed Elementary Schools with the condition that they will fulfil all the requirements as per RTE Act by 31.10.15.
c. Applications received will be sent “on-line” to the concerned BEOs (Block Education Officers) for field verification. Based on the field report, NOC is to be considered.
d. The BEOs after getting the applications “on-line” will conduct field enquiry and while submitting report, specifically give comments on the non-negotiable items.
The BEO will submit the verification report “ on-line” with the counter signature of the concerned District Project Coordinator (DPC) within 15 days of receipt of the applications from the Directorate of Elementary Education, Odisha.
2. Total number of 91 Private Schools functioning within jurisdiction of BMC ( Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation) have applied for NOC for 2015-16. Total No. of 38 private schools functioning in Bhubaeswar Block have applied for NOC for 2015-16.
3. The Proposal of total no. of 46 Private Schools functioning within the jurisdiction of Bhubaneswar Block were sent to DPC,SSA for issue of NOC ( 2014-15) on 25.1.15.
4. The proposal of total no. of 93 Private Schools within BMC area was sent to DPC in January and February 2015 for issue of NOC for 2014-15.
5. The proposal of total no. of 42 Private Schools within BMC area was sent to DPC for issue of NOC for 2015-16.
6. After careful consideration of the Report of BEO and DPC, SSA-RTE, Conditional No Objection was granted upto 31.10.2015 to only SEVEN Private Schools ( ST.Xavier International School, Jujhagada, ST.Xavier International School, Janpath, satya Nagar, ST.Xavier International School, ear Alishan Housing Project, ST.Xavier International School, Palasuni, Swami Vivekanand Shikha Kendra, Kargil Road, Bhimpur, Kalinga Institute of Social Science (KISS), KIIT Campus, Patia, Sai Binapani Gyana Mandir, Badagada Brit Colony) on the following conditions.
a. The school shall be opened for inspection by the Inspecting Officers of School and Mass Education Department.
b. No financial assistance or grant-in-aid shall be claimed by the Institution from the Government at any point of time for meeting salary cost and its component towards teaching and non-teaching staff.
c. The Managing Committee of the school will not shift the present location of the school without prior approval of Director, Elementary Education, Odisha.
d. The Managing Committee shall be constituted in accordance with the section 7 of Orissa Education Act 1969.
e. The Managing Committee shall ensure the continuity of all eligibility criteria for grant of N.O.C. If ay deterioration from present status of the school is detected at any point of time then N.O.C. shall be withdrawn.
f. If at any point of time it is found that information submitted by the schools is not in conformity with the field position, appropriate Administrative as well as legal action against the school authority will be initiated besides withdrawal of NOC.
7. Rest of all the Private Schools have not been granted NOC by the Govt. till yet. It means functioning of these schools are illegal.
8. Copy of the reports of the monitoring of Private Schools submitted by the Monitoring authority from 2011 to 2015 is not available as per response of the PIO.
9. KIIT School has not been monitored by any Monitoring Authority till yet.