Incompetency and Inefficiency of Odisha Information Commission leading to huge pendency of more than 6000 cases in Commission, exposed through RTI
· Each Odisha Information Commissioner receives salary Rs. 1,92,000.00 per month except other facilities like accommodation, vehicle, telephone availed free of cost.
· If it is roughly calculated, we spent Rs. 2.5 lakh per month for each Information Commissioner in Odisha.
· We pay Rs.12,000.00 per day of hearing of Case by Odisha Information Commissioner
· Each Information Commissioner devotes only 15 days in a month for hearing the case.
· Only 9 no. of cases heard by each Information Commissioner per day
· Only 7 no. of cases disposed by each Information Commissioner per month
· Total no. of 6000 cases pending in the Commission.
· There will be delay of minimum 2 years for hearing and disposal of a Case. For example, if a case is filed in 2016, it will be heard in 2018 or 2019 .
· To get correct information in right time is distant dream for the Citizens.
· Odisha Information Commission has been reduced to mockery.
When two new Information Commissioners got appointed in June 2015 by State Govt. without following transparent procedure, it was suggested by friends and supporters that the functioning of these Information Commissioners should be silently observed without raising any issues in public domain. We patiently observed their functioning of 7 months and started monitoring their activities through RTI. The information about functioning of the Information Commission provided by the PIO is as follows.
1. Two State Information Commissioners namely Sri Laxminarayan Pattanaik and Ms. Sashiprava Bindhani have joined in the Commission as State Information Commissioner on 16.6.15.
2. But they started their case hearing on 22.6.15
3. ( June to ), both the Information commissioners have received each Rs. 12.50 lakh ( Ms. Sashi Bindhani receives salary Rs. 1,92,000.00 per month).
4. No. of days devoted for hearing by both the Information Commissioners
Total no. of days devoted by Ms. Sashi Bindhani for hearing
Average No. of days devoted by Ms. Bidhani, SIC for hearing per month
16 days only
Amount paid from State Exchequer to Ms. Bindhani per day hearing
Total no. of days devoted by Sri L.N. Pattanaik,SIC for hearing
Average No. of days devoted by Sri L.N. Pattanaik for hearing per month
Amount paid from State Exchequer to Sri Pattanaik per day hearing
5. No. of cases heard by both the Information Commissioners
No. of cases ( Second Appeal and Complaint Case ) heard by Both the Information Commissioners in division bench
No. of cases ( Second Appeal and Complaint Case ) heard by Ms. Sashi Bindhani,SIC in single bench
No. of cases ( Second Appeal and Complaint Case ) heard by Sri L.N. Pattanaik, SIC in single bench
Total No. of Cases heard by the Commission
No. of cases heard per month by single Information Commissioner
No. of cases heard per day by a single Information Commissioner (112 / 14 days devoted for hearing )
6. No. of Cases disposed by both the Information Commissioners within 7 months
No. of Cases ( Second Appeal and Complaint Case ) disposed by both the Information Commissioners in Division Bench from June to
No. of cases disposed by Ms. Sashiprava Bindhani, SIC within 7 months
No. of cases disposed by Sri L.N. Pattanaik, SIC
Total cases disposed
No. of Cases disposed by single Information Commissioner
No. of cases disposed by single Information Commissioner per month
No. of cases disposed by single
7. There are 725 Complaint Cases and 5249 Second Appeals pending in the Commission till December, 2015