RTI Activists continue to suffer due to nexus of Police and Criminals, exposed through RTI
RTI Activists who are recognised as Anti-Corruption Crusader throughout the country are always found vulnerable due to Criminal-Police nexus and indifferent attitude of the corrupt administration to ensure their protection. A glaring example has been exposed through RTI how an RTI Activist is still suffering and moving from pillar to post to get justice.
On 27.8.15, Sri Binayak Rath, a retired Govt. employee who had been using RTI extensively to expose corruption in Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation (BMC) since 2008 after his retirement, was attacked, mercilessly beaten up by a group of criminals in the office of BMC, while he was on his way to appear in the hearing of first appeal petition. He fell unconscious and hospitalised later on and got physically recovered after one month treatment and remained bed-ridden for months together. After receiving written report from Binayak Rath, the police registered the case on same day with Case No. 214 dated 27.8.15 u/s -341/325/307/506/34 IPC. Though six months passed, the Police has not taken any steps to arrest the culprits.
RTI Application dated 2.1.16 was filed to the Public Information Officer, Office of Badagada Police Station, Bhubaneswar seeking information about details of enquiry conducted so far to arrest the culprits involved in attacking Sri Binayak Rath. The Reply of the PIO is as follows.
1. The Police have lodged case against the following accused in connection with attack on Binayak Rath.
a. R.N.Mallick, Executive Engineer
b. Kedar Parida, Junior Assistant
c. Suvadarshi Das-D.L.R.
d. Trinath Maharana, Junior Assistance
e. Amiya Mohanty
f. Bhabani Satapathy- Daptari
g. Kahnu Samantaray, Head Assistance
h. Bijay Das, Market Supervisor
i. Gayadhar Swain ad other two unknown accused persons
2. Kailash Ch. Bhoi, S.I. of Badagada Police Station has taken investigation of the case.
3. Now the case is still under investigation.
4. No accused person has been arrested till today by the police
1. All accused persons are very well-known in Bhubaneswar. But the police has not tried to arrest them.
2. Gayadhar Swain is known criminal and closely connected with Ruling class. Two days back, he had masterminded attack of journalist in a press meet and got arrested after protest by Journalists and got bail on same day due to support extended by the police.
3. The unholy alliance of the police and criminal is exposed ad proved true.